Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Gnarley healthy muffins and an Asian-style wholemeal pasta dish

Happy Valentine's day! No real valentine this year. Shame. My lovely mum did buy me some chocolate hearts though :P

Anyways: I've had these pretties bookmarked for aaages. Finally made them to have with my breakfasts for the next couple of weeks. Warmed up on top of yoghurt and fruit... mmmmm beautiful.
Gnarley Muffins
Adapted from the Joy the Baker recipe
Yield 14 medium muffins

Ingredients
1 1/2 C all purpose flour (I used wholemeal)
3/4 C flaxseed meal
3/4 C oat bran (I was JUST short of this amount so topped it up with quick oats)
1 C brown sugar (I used a little less - about 3/4 C)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 C carrot, grated
2 apples, grated with excess moisture drained (I used Royal Gala)
1/2 C raisins (optional - I omitted)
1 C nuts, chocolate chips, shredded coconut etc (optional - I just sprinkled chopped macadamias on top)
demerara sugar, for sprinkling
3/4 C milk (I used buttermilk as had excess I was wanting to use up)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract


Method
 
1. Preheat oven to 170C (fan-forced). Grease and/or line a muffin tray or place cardboard muffin cases on a baking tray.

2. Mix together the flour, flaxseed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl.

3. Stir in carrot, apple and raisins, nuts (or other add-ins)

4. Combine milk, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl.

5. Pour the liquid into the dry mixture in one go. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.

6. Fill muffin cases 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
 
Banana&honey yoghurt with red grapes, strawberries, blueberries and a warm gnarley muffin <3
Random lunch:  
Garlic-teriyaki pumpkin, spinach and shitaake mushrooms with wholemeal pasta
Roast pumpkin pieces
Shitaake mushrooms, chopped
Handful of baby spinach
Garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
Pepper, chilli flakes, salt - to taste
1/2 C wholemeal pasta

1. Cook pasta in boiling water for 14 minutes then drain.
2. Brown garlic in a medium saucepan. Add teriyaki sauce, mushrooms and spinach and stir until spinach wilts.
3. Add pumpkin and heat through.
4. Mix everything together and add toppings :)


No comments:

Post a Comment