Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

 I've been wanting to bake, or even just eat/try some pumpkin pie for such a long time! So it probably isn't the best idea to bake something when you don't know what it's supposed to taste like.. but due to the lack of pumpkin pie popularity where I live, I didn't have an option really. So I chose 101 cookbooks Spice-Kissed Pumpkin Pie. The ingredients list won me over, but in hindsight I should probably have made a more traditional pie to start with. It uses coconut milk instead of the more traditional condensed or evaporated milk or heavy cream. True, you can't really taste the coconut (which wouldn't have been a bad thing necessarily), but this pie really isn't very sweet as a result. This may be ideal for some, but I think I would have preferred a sweeter pie. Also, I used a honey graham crust. For some reason I wasn't a huge fan of this! It was quite crumbly and didn't seem to go well with the pie. I would make a more traditional crust for my next pumpkin pie. I made the hazelnut paste layer which was quite a nice addition (although didn't turn out as dark as I expected?). Nonetheless, I enjoyed the flavours and texture and will definitely be making more pumpkin pie in the future.
 
I enjoyed this out of the fridge with ice cream in this picture. I later tried it frozen (I have this weird thing for frozen baked goods haha) and I liked it more than the cold pie. I THEN tried it warmed up in the microwave - this was my favourite way to eat it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment