Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Choc chunk hummingbird muffins

I should be studying for exams. In my study break I wanted to exercise. So I walked to the shops. I bought some dark chocolate. Got home to find some over-ripe banana's screaming at me. So, naturally, I decided to make some hummingbird muffins with chunks of dark chocolate. This recipe includes nearly all of my favourite foods/flavours.

I based my muffins on the following recipe:


My version:

2 cups plain flour
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice (I just used a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
2 tbsp wheat germ
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
100g dark chocolate (chips or roughly chopped squares)
1 cup ripe, mashed banana
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup olive oil (supposed to be 1 cup but I ran out)
1/2 cup pineapple juice (not supposed to be included)
250g crushed pineapple, drained
1 tsp vanilla essence



1. Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced).

2. Line muffin tin with muffin papers or grease well.

3. Sift flours, bicarb soda and spices into a large bowl.

4. Stir in wheat germ, sugar, coconut and chocolate.







5. Combine mashed banana, whisked eggs, olive oil, pineapple (juice and fruit) and vanilla in a smaller bowl.






6. Add banana mix to flour mix and stir until combined.

7. Spoon into muffin papers up to the top.




8. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes or until cooked through and golden.

9. Let stand for 5 minutes then turn onto wire rack to cool completely.


Verdict
Really yummy! Very moist and heavenly when a mouthful contains a chunk of chocolate. Perfect study snack. Now back to studying I guess....


NEXT UP: Dad's birthday cake

No comments:

Post a Comment