Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Gourmet Carrot Cookies and failed Honeycomb

 I never seem to stick with what I plan to bake! I spontaneously decided to make some carrot cookies this morning.


Gourmet Carrot Cookies


I followed this recipe exactly (but halved it and got about 12 small-medium sized biccies)


Ingredients
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup raw wheatgerm
1 cup shredded carrots
2/3 cup crushed toasted hazelnuts
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil


Method
1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Line baking sheets with baking paper. Toast hazelnuts now if not already pre-prepared.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, oatmeal, wheatgerm, coconut and hazelnuts. Mix well.

3. Add carrots, maple syrup and olive oil. Mix with a wooden spoon till mixture is well combined and reaches a dough-like consistency.






4. Shape a tablespoon of dough into a small round disc in the palm of your hand and place on the prepared tray. Place cookie dough at least 1-2 inches apart.
5. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes till golden.
6. Cool on wire racks and store in an air-tight container for about a week.


Verdict = lovely smell and flavours! Not very sweet but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. The texture is moist yet somewhat crumbly. I chopped my hazelnuts into large pieces (chunky) which I think is quite nice. You could even add some sultanas. Will be making these again.

FAILED ATTEMPT
The other night (ie 11pm) I had an overwhelming urge to make some honeycomb. I followed the recipe exactly and it was all looking perfect until I jumped back on the computer after pouring it out to let it set. I looked through comments other people had left and discovered a lot of people were left with a taffy-like pile of sugar and syrup. Turns out it takes 3 minutes when you use a high heat and I only had it on medium-low. Needless to say mine also turned out to be a taffy (although it still tasted okay) and I threw it out. Never mind!





No comments:

Post a Comment